Thursday, April 21, 2011

(Re) Building a PC (part II)

Video Cards

So, I bought a new video card. Why? Well, I never could get the drivers on the old card to work right with Vista. And after digging into it and fiddling around enough I decided hacking Vista to make it work wasn't worth the effort (and did I mention Civ5 is a real video hog?). Also, my backup computer (thanks cousin Keith!) turns out to have a PCI-express slot, so I can re-use my current card. No brainer, buy a new card, move the old one, done!

wait
(time passes)
wait
(time passes)
the sword from the junction appears in your hand!

Sorry, old Zork joke. So the new card arrives, and while I'm waiting an eternity for Vista to shutdown, I pop the side off my old computer. That's when I notice that the proprietary Dell configured 305 measly Watt power supply does not have any extra PCI-e power adapters! Darn, well, I'll pick up another supply later and suffer for now. Right, Vista finishes shutting down, so pull out the old card, and... That's when I notice the new card requires not ONE but TWO extra PCI-e power adapters! ...Aaaaaggghhhh!!!!

So, back to TigerDirect to pick up a new supply with two adapters, and because I'm in a bad mood I pick up a copy of Windows7, since it's the only thing that supports DirectX11, and if I don't use a DirectX11 video card with a DirectX11 OS, than what's the point, right? RIGHT?!?

(from the vault of the Idiot Build-it-yourself Computer Geeks)

1 comment:

Proteinstar said...

I hope you picked up the 64 bit version of Windows 7!